Into the Forest
Into the Forest
Into the Forest
Into the Forest
Into the Forest- detail
Into the Forest-Detail
Repository: The collection
Repository: The collection
Repository: The collection- detail
Into the Forest : Early Growth
Into the Forest : Early Growth-detail
Into the Forest: Early growth
On the trail
On the trail-detail
On the Trail-detail
Dali's tree- detail
Taxi Nautico-close up
|Experienced With||Collaboration, Leading workshops, Teaching engagements, Speaking engagements, Public art, Lectures|
The passage of time touches, alters materials and produces decay. There is beauty in the fragility of the natural world’s decomposition. Witnessing the marks left behind moves me and I incorporate that feeling into my work. The intention is to capture a moment in time, be it with a photograph, a piece of jewelry or an installation.
I am particularly interested in experimenting with different approaches to materials. I create my work with a series of repeated elements, each one made individually giving it its own character. Working this way, repetition through repetition, takes me to a meditative state, where time stops and the work flows.
I am also intrigued by the role light plays, and the paradox created between the shadows produced by the tangible material of the polymer and its translucency, suggesting immateriality and fragility. I experiment with the limits of balance trying to create tension between stillness and movement.
The objective, when creating my installations, is to immerse the viewer in an allusive natural environment where fragility, weightlessness, movement, light and shadows are part of the experience.
Laura Tabakman was born in Argentina, where she and her family lived until 1989. She currently lives and works in Pittsburgh.
After exploring several media including photography, she discovered fiber arts. Working with fibers appeals to her because of its tactile quality, variety of textures and colors. Laura also began working with polymer clay in 1995, making jewelry. Her attraction to polymer clay comes from the versatility of the material.
Laura’s current work integrates all her interests into jewelry, digital printing, mixed-media sculptures and installations.
An award-winning studio artist, her work has been shown in exhibitions nationally and internationally and has been featured in books and magazines. Laura has been teaching internationally since 2005.
NAME: Laura Tabakman
· 2018 Contextile 2018- Palácio Vila Flor – CCVF, Guimaraes, Portugal - Jurors: Lala de Dios, curator and president of ETN; Magda Sobo?, artist and teacher; Paulo Leocádio, director of ESAG and teacher; Fernando Penteado, artist and curator; Cláudia Melo, artistic director of Contextile 2018
· 2017 Into the Forest – Leading artist, organizer of an international installation at Spinning Plate Gallery, Pittsburgh,PA www.intotheforestinstallation.com
· 2017 Blue – Pittsburgh Center for the Arts- exhibition organized by the Fiberarts guild of Pittsburgh
· 2016 Repository- Spinning Plate Gallery- Pittsburgh, PA. A six artists collaborative installation. With Kirsti Adkins, Michelle Browne, Donnie Day Pomeroy, Judy Manion and Rise Nagin.
· 2016 Into the Forest- Park Towne Apartments Gallery organized by InLiquid- Philadelphia, Pa. A collaboration installation with Emily Squires Levine
· 2016 3d@mgg2 - Morgan Glass Gallery - Pittsburgh, PA - Curated by Amy Morgan
· 2015 Time and Materiality-Three-person exhibition with Michelle Browne and Camila Pearce at the Spinning Plate Gallery- Pittsburgh, PA
· 2014 A Re-Visioning: New Works in Polymer at the H.F.Johnson Art Gallery at Carthage College- Kenosha, Wisconsin. Curated by Diane Levesque.
· 2013 The New Collective- Pittsburgh Center for the Arts- Pittsburgh, PA. Jurors: Petra Fallaux, Clayton Merrell and Renée Stout.
· 2013 An Object of Beauty: Metal / Fiber / Glass – Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua, NY – Curated by Judy Barie.
· 2012 5x5x(5) – Target Gallery at the Torpedo Factory Art Center- Alexandria, VA.- Juror Stefanie Fedor, Executive Director of Arlington Arts Center
· 2012 Philadelphia City Hall - An Art Journey from Argentina in Philadelphia
· 2011 Sixth Biennial of Contemporary Textile Art. World Textile Art-Air Mexico 2011- Museo Diego Rivera Anahuacalli –Mexico City, Mexico.
· 2010 reCycle.fiber- - FGP group show-Pittsburgh Center for the Arts - Pittsburgh, PA. Juror: Josef Bajuz.
· 2010 Rock- SPACE Gallery- Curated by Jill Larson - Pittsburgh, PA
· 2009 3 Way- A three person exhibition- Curated by Jill Larson - Fe Gallery – Pittsburgh, PA.
· 2009 Associated Artists of Pittsburgh Ninety-Ninth Annual exhibition Carnegie Museum of Art- Pittsburgh, PA - Juror Doryung Chong.
· 2009 Annual ART+TTECH Exhibition, featuring the BurghBot Project -Piitsburgh Technology Council – Pittsburgh, PA.
· 2009 Fifth Biennial of Contemporary Textile Art - Palais de Glace - Buenos Aires – Argentina Jurors: Beatrijs Sterk (Holanda), Gracia Cutuli (Argentina) and Lilian Llanes (Cuba).
· 2007 Vessel - Brewhouse Gallery, Space 101 – FGP Group Show – Pittsburgh, PA
· 2006 Inside/Out – Society of Sculptors - Pittsburgh Center for the Arts – Pittsburgh, PA
· 2005-2006 Up Over, Down Under – Juror Janice Lessman-Moss - Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Center fro the Arts - Pittsburgh, PA and Sidney & Brisbane, Australia.
· 2004 James Gallery- Group show- Pittsburgh, PA
· 2004 Working Series – Group show - Craftsmen Guild of Pittsburgh- Pittsburgh Center for the Arts – Pittsburgh, PA – Jurors: Kate Lydon and Janet McCall.
· 2002 Moving Forward – A collaboration with Connections Dance Theater Princeton University FAHS Theater –- Princeton, NJ
· 2000 Art Institute of Pittsburgh – Group Show - Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh Members Show - Pittsburgh, PA
· Award for best Botanical theme at Unveiled, Arturo Sandoval juror, April 2011.
· Best of Show at 2010 Progress and Possibilities – Competition organized by the IPCA juried by Dayle Doroshow, Sue Heaser, Mary Sullivan Holdgrafer, and Executive Director of the Arrowmont Art School David Willard.
· Best of Show at the 2009 Annual ART+TECH Exhibition – PTC – June 2009.
· People’s Choice Award at Making Connections- Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh exhibition – PCA - Jan 2009
· Award for best Botanical theme at Fiber Art: Thread from Body to Soul – b-e Gallery, Apr 2008
· Juror’s Award at the 2007 Associated Artists of Pittsburgh Selected Salon at Sewickley show.
· Juror’s Award at the 2006 Associated Artists of Pittsburgh in Red show.
· Juror’s Merit Award at the 2002 Three Rivers Arts Festival (Pittsburgh, PA)
· Honorable Mention at the 2002 New Hope Arts and Crafts Festival (New Hope, PA)
· Award for Innovative Use of Materials at 2002 Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh Members Show
SELECTED TEACHING EXPERIENCES
· 2017 Polymer and wire workshop- Buenos Aires, Argentina
· 2017 Into the Forest presentation at Synergy IV conference- Philadelphia, PA
· 2017 Startable instructor @ Techshop
· 2017 Polymer and wire class- Asheville polymer clay guild- Asheville, NC
· 2016 Lecture and workshop at Eurosynergy2 Conference in Bordeaux, France. Organized by the International Polymer Clay Association.
· 2016 Invited artist at Clayathon- New Jersey Polymer Clay Guild’s retreat-Galloway, NJ
· 2015 Translucent clay techniques- Creative Journey Studio- Atlanta, GA
· 2015 Polymer Workshop - Hollow forms and Color and Translucent- Buenos Aires, Argentina.
· 2014 Lecturer at EuroSynergy Conference in Malta organized by the International Polymer Clay Association.
· 2013 Polymer workshop - Mile High Polymer Clay Guild. Surface design for polymer, Organic polymer and wire. Denver, Colorado
· 2012 Polymer workshop - Organic Polymer and Wire jewelry - New York Polymer clay guild – New York, NY
· 2011 AAP -Visual Arts Career Orientation Program- Polymer clay classes to high school students. Pittsburgh, PA
· 2011 Polymer workshop - Developing a language with polymer clay- Mixed media sculptures - Cabin Fever Clay Festival – Laurel MD
· 2010 Digital Images on fabric – Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh.
· 2008 Polymer workshop - Texture plates – Houston Polymer Clay Guild – Houston, Texas.
· 2008 Polymer workshop - Surface Design – Craft conference @ Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft – Louisville, Kentucky.
· 2006/2016 Workshops on Polymer clay and fiber arts techniques - Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA.
· 2005-2007 Teaching assistant for Allegheny Intermediate Unit Apprenticeship program for high school students. Pittsburgh, PA.
· The Polymer arts Magazine- Spring 2018 issue- The big wide world of installation Art.
· Polymer Journeys- The Art & Craft of Polymer-2016- Edited by Sage Bray- Tenth Muse Publications.
· The Polymer Arts magazine – Summer 2014 issue – Designing with light written by Irene Corman.
· The Polymer Arts magazine – Spring 2013 issue – Mentor Artist Gallery.
· Showcase 500 art necklaces – Chunghi Choo juror – Lark books.
· Surface Design magazine review of Rock, Paper, Scissors by Jacqueline Ruyak
· Polymer Clay Color Inspirations: Techniques and Jewelry Projects for Creating Successful Palettes by Lindly Haunani and Maggie Maggio - Watson-Guptill
· The craft report magazine – July ’08 online issue
· 400 Polymer Clay Designs: a collection of dynamic & colorful contemporary work / Suzanne J. E. Tourtillott – Lark Books.
· Polymer Clay Creative Traditions: Techniques and projects inspired by the fine and decorative arts/ Judy Belcher - Watson-Guptill publications.
· 2012-14 Knit the Bridge – Core team member
· 2007-17 Surface Design Association - member
· 2004-17 Associated Artists of Pittsburgh - member
· 2002-04 Fiberart International ’04 Exhibition Director
· 2002-18 Pittsburgh Polymer Clay Guild – member. 2002-10 Board member. 2009-2011 President
· 1998-2018 Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh– member. 2000-02 Board member
· 1998-2018 International Polymer Clay Association - member
RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
· Into the Forest- Organizer and leading Artist. A collaborative exhibition of more than 300 international artists.
· Treasurer for Knit the Bridge 2012/14
· Jurying chair for Fiberart International 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019 - 700 artists with 1500 entries digitally submitted.
· Installation chair for Fiberart International 2004, 2010, 2013and 2019, Pittsburgh, PA.
· Graphic assistance, member of the team working on the Polymer Collection Project that went to museums nationally.
· Exhibition co-director for Up Over/Down Under, a collaborative exhibition with the Australian Textile Arts & the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh. Shown at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts in the USA, at the Parliament House in Sydney, Australia and at the T.A.F.T.A. Gallery in Brisbane, Australia. 2006.
· Juror for the 2005 A Fair in the Park craft show in Pittsburgh, PA
· Co-director of Fiberart International, 2004, a triennial international fiber art show. It was shown at Pittsburgh Center for the Arts and Society for Contemporary Craft in Pittsburgh and the MAD museum in New York.